Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Redang... the Triggerfish


Triggerfish munching on a sponge barrel (C) Lrong Lim

The Titan Triggerfish is the largest of the triggerfish species.

This guy at Redang is about 50 cm, but records show that it can grow up to 75 cm in length.

Divers know this fish as highly territorial.

They are very aggressive especially when guarding its nest, supposedly found in open areas of sand.

Although not poisonous, divers have been bitten by them for being too curious.

I have yet to be attacked by the titan although I like observing them feed on corals.

So far, I have not seen their nests yet.

Still, I have taken care not to be too much of a busybody to these guys.

This fish is a rather common sight in the East Coast as it usually hangs around coral reefs in the tropical waters.

The sponge barrel (one of its food) used to be the raw material for the sponge used for cleaning.

Traditionally, the people around the Mediterranean Sea used to harvest them.

But due to over harvesting, most of the sponge we used these days are made from artificial material.

2 comments:

  1. Just want to tell you that I enjoy dropping by your blog and your photos. In case you miss Malaysian foods, drop by my food blog.
    http://penangfaces.chanlilian.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How kind of you. I was eyeing that mee udang for the main course, the mangosteen for the fruit course and the fruit cake for desserts... over here, I have seen in the shops, one frozen, shrunk, and (probably) inedible mangosteen going for about 20 ringgit... I thought, how can, like that...

    ReplyDelete