Wednesday, May 18, 2005

HAUNTED BUILDING AT KYOTO UNIVERSITY?

Envy (a bit-bit only lah...) Fish Fish and Patrick who are studying in Kyoto University.

While finishing my master's degree at Kagawa University, I sat for the doctorate course entrance examination at four universities.

Passed two (Kyoto and Nagoya), flunk two (Tokyo and Hitotsubashi).

Was still rather unknowledgeable about places Japan, and all those people around me... they were unanimous in their opinions... go for Kyoto University.

But the administrative staff apparently screwed up the process of scholarship extension.

It turned out to be either Nagoya University on scholarship or Kyoto University on private funds.

So, Nagoya I went.

But luck came again when I was offered a chance to be a visiting researcher at the Kyoto University Center of Southeast Asian Studies.

Stayed there for 10 months.

Loved it so much, especially the Kamo River and the vicinity.

In the summer, the house I stayed was so very hot that I could not sleep.

Kyoto is infamous for its summer heat.

So, stayed back in office and studied until late.

Sometimes, even sleeping in the research room.

I felt strange when I had to go peeing in the middle of the night sometimes.

One night, while sleeping, I felt I was pressed from above by some entity.

I could sense immediately that it was a spirit.

Waah, hair stand, man…

Yet, I forced myself to say, calmly and politely, 'please do not disturb me... I wish to sleep peacefully... please go away'.

I did not tell anyone about this episode.

Then a few days later, to my surprise, an office lady asked me, 'Lim-san, I heard you saw a ghost'.

I almost died from shock.

I said, how do you know I 'saw' a ghost?

'Everyone in the Center knows'.

My ears twanged wildly...

Turned out that a Singaporean guy by the same surname saw an apparition, a long haired spirit, sitting quietly at the middle of a flight of stairs...

He walked pass her silently...

And also, an Indonesian guy saw the apparition in his research room...

Pooh, even while I relate this story, hair stand, man...

Do you believe in ghost?

Ok, no posts for the next few days...

Have to play host to a group of students and professors coming from Wisconsin University...

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/18/2005

    hehehe...now that is pretty creepy the part where the Singaporean guy sees 'her' on the staircase. I'm living abroad too but in Shanghai... apparently after Mao's ruling here in China, stuff like ghosts are pretty much non-existant in the community. I miss the Malaysian cerita hantu culture...hehe ...maybe I should start telling my Chinese friends some stories. *snicker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Errm, say believe, not right la. Don't believe also cannot.
    Believe - camped in the forest reserved with friends. Past midnight, all of us got chilled without apparent reason. Not windy after all. What could have caused this?

    Dont Belief - errmm, haven't seen one right infront of my face? Hack! Of course I don't wish to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a friend telling me that he can see ghost. apparently, there are some spirits going around in kobe university too...he sense them and sees them. i don't wanna see any... scary..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen one but felt uncomfortable when working late as the building is quite big. I sometimes hear strange sounds. Maybe its some lovers staying back to do some work ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well. ghost and spirit everywhere. when you are 'si wan tai' then see la. but kyoto is a good place to stay. oh...so you are in nagoya eh ? maybe got chance to meet. will go there some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wil@theblackjournal... Yeap, sure was creepy... in China, with so many people, the ghosts also become afraid lah...

    dizzyguy73... just like 'do you believe in god' question... sometimes difficult to answer for some people... but better to say 'yes' to be on the 'safe' side sometimes...

    ~AnGeL~ ... hey, how about some ghoulish stories from Kobe University?

    Adam ... picture of you snorkeling? Nice... if it were lovers doing their business, it might also be equally 'hair-standing' to observe... ooh...

    Patrick... was in Nagoya from 1990 to 1996... now in Takamatsu, Kagawa... the above incident happened in 1998, seven years ago... but still never fail to make me geli when recalling the episode...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kihkihkih... every school is haunted with spooky stuffs.

    Especially in Malaysia, the Chinese schools usually are built on ex-kubur land. Do you know??

    ReplyDelete
  8. fish fish... 'Chinese schools usually are built on ex-kubur land'? No idea at all ah... do you have any experience 'seeing' the inhabitants?

    ReplyDelete