Wednesday, June 01, 2005

LOVE HOTELS IN JAPAN

Talked to my better half over dinner about my intention to try out the capsule hotel next week.

Her response was immediate.

YOU SHOULD CANCEL THE RESERVATION RIGHT AWAY!

Her reasons?

Too dangerous... atmosphere too smoky... bed too smelly of you-know-what... Yakuzas (gangsters) loitering around... too noisy... no privacy... and you will certainly be frustrated because you will not be able to sleep soundly...

Recalling my earlier blog about listening to your wives, I did just that. .

Just then, another brilliant idea popped up...

Now, how about trying to spend the night in a 'love hotel'?

After all, this is the only other type of hotel that I have yet to experience staying in.

The principal purpose of love hotels is self-explanatory.

Lovers go there to love one another...

'Lovers' as in people involved in illicit affairs.

Or legitimate lovers who live with nosy and noisy family members in crowded housing premises too inconducive for 'aktibiti malam'.

Discretion thus is the key word here, so guests check in and out without the need to meet any soul.

Love hotels have an equally important second function...

They act as your 'regular' hotel from 10.00 pm to 10.00 am.

Apparently the love hotels in Shibuya area are among the most famous in all of Japan...

Garish architectural designs and bright neon lights characterize these hotels.

They come in different themes, such as Caribbean, Tropical, White Christmas, Savannah, Jungle, Starry Night, Victorian...

See an example of the Marine theme here.

The rooms come with king or queen-sized water beds, huge plasma TVs, special lights that filter through water bodies to create a 'soft' feel on the 'skin', videos, whips, poles, plus karaokes to keep you occupied the whole night through.

Mind you, the rooms are not really cheap...

Some of them have rates that match a 4 or even 5 star hotel...

Hmmm... and I happen to be in the vicinity of Shibuya... heheheheee...

Am now eyeing for the opportune moment to propose this wacky idea to my better half...

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/01/2005

    How come Japanese always like to come up with all these weird ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Kiasu... one view is, the cramped space in Japan... that's why the need to make full or 'effective' use of avalable land to satisfy the 'needs' of the people...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, that wacky idea may invite a whack on the head! Good luck with the proposal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lilian... Good hint! maybe I should wear my helmet when I make the proposal...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe will visit the love hotel next on my holiday trip/adventure.If you want to propose to stay in this love hotel then you better invite your missus to go with you. Sure OK one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6/01/2005

    It seems you are one those that loves to go looking for 'trouble' and not trouble chasing you. Hope that helmet helps....(well, not really..:):):))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6/02/2005

    lrong dudee, errrr, can i say, love hotel is similar to glorified brothel? haha. of course in this case, there r no such transactions lar (but then again nobody knows ..). however, the intention is of "one". keatix

    ReplyDelete
  8. staying in the love hotel alone ? so sad....

    ReplyDelete
  9. thquah... actually I invited my missus before just for the fun of it... but kena rejected every time... maybe you can be more lucky with your missus and if so, you blog about it alreadeaa..

    AK... sometimes need to pump adrenalin into the system mah... helmet... all checked and ready!

    keatix... no lah, not brothel loh... this one ah, a bit different although intention may be similar(?)... but for me this time ah, only for sleeping and also for 'educational' purpose... honest leh...

    Patrick... 'adventure' is the word altho' some may say 'playing with fire'...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kihkihkih... I've been thinking of having an experience of staying in love hotel too. Hey, the marine theme looks very cute ler~ The bathroom looks like the Kaiyukan that I visited few days ago. :P

    Hey, do you think they allow if I say I wanna have Gals' pajama party there? :PbPbPb

    Go go try, and make your review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fish Fish... very happy to read that someone also feels like trying out the 'Labu Hoteru'... I think sure they allow Gal's pajama party... of all the ones I checked, I like the Marine theme best... yeap, the review... hope I can the green light from my boss to check out the place first...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6/02/2005

    Before I saw the investigative news I also thought it was fun to try....now, I don't think so. Let me spoil the fun for you.....:):):)...they took samples from the comforters, sheets, mattress, pillows & case, remote controls, phones (from a 'clean' room) and the lab found 'body fluids' (you know what fluids..ok) on all of them...yukes.....enjoy your stay...:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6/02/2005

    The samples were from 4-5 star 'regular' hotels.......imagine the 'love' ones.....double yukes..........but, just forget what I said.......just enjoy yourself ok...:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting, wish I've known about this earlier...*make mental notes to work harder to deserve another trip to Japan*
    Anyway,lrong...I enjoyed your blog on "listen to your wife"

    ReplyDelete
  15. AK... no lah, don't think I will be emitting any fluids there... just to enjoy and explore the premises and snoring the night away on the water bed, watching the whales lazily whiz by...

    ak... are you related to AK?

    Mama22Beas... many thanks for dropping by... yeap, if you can come over and discover this side of Japan... it's another world there... very pleased to hear that you enjoyed that episode...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6/03/2005

    who is AK ?

    ReplyDelete
  17. ak... who is AK? I'm clueless too...

    ReplyDelete