Wednesday, June 15, 2005

BODY TWEAKING AND CREAKING

No one can beat Father Time.

At slightly past mid forty, the 'engine' begins to experience tweaks and creaks like a Proton.

Went for my annual medical check up last week.

Been doing that for the last 9 years.

It is always a pleasure to be on the receiving end of services Japanese styled.

The neat slippers... the cotton pressed light green pajamas... it was blue last year...

At 8:15 am, our group of about 20 ugly men took turns to pee into our respective paper cups.

We were to reject the first 30 cc and take only the middle portion of the pee.

Hmmm... now, how do I that...

Next, a veteran nurse took blood from my right arm... no pain...

The chest x-ray was a 30-second affair; no need to remove my pajamas...

I then peeped into the monitor that showed my liver, pancreas, etc, but could not make out what was what.

To check my weight, height, and body fat, all I had to do was to stand barefoot on a square plate with contact points at the heel.

Blood pressure was 62 and 110... pretty normal, thankfully.

The ECG was also another lightning fast affair.

But my eyesight is surely going to the dogs.

Had trouble to make sense out of those fat characters at the very top line of the table...

So much for reading the small fonts from Jackie Collins' saucy novels in the dimly lit hotel rooms while working in the airlines.

A punishment from God, perhaps...

At about 9:00 am, I began to feel hungry because I was to come with an empty stomach.

In the room that examined my eyeballs, the machine flashed right into the deeps.

Vertigo, man...

The 'nastiest' part of the check up was probably that of the stomach.

The nurse makes an injection on my right arm to 'calm' the stomach muscles.

Inside the room stood a vertical platform, a bed with two handles on the sides.

It quite resembles a torture table...

There were three items on the left side of the platform...

A small container of white granules, a small plastic cup filled with about 50 cc of valium, and a larger plastic cup filled with about 200 cc of valium.

The technician instructed me to sip from the small cup.

I was then to transfer the granules into my mouth and to wash them down with the remaining Valium from the small cup.

The granules tasted like lemonade, sort of like Eno.

Not too bad a taste...

Valium is whitish, and the texture, heavy powder.

The taste?

Yaaarrrggghh... even with an empty stomach...

This 15-minute routine required the technician to move the 'bed' horizontally and vertically, and me to repeatedly turn my body in clockwise and anti-clockwise directions.

Quite strenuous, and I wonder how many more years I can do such a thing.

Upon finishing, I was advised to take two laxative pills to flush the Valium out of my system by the end of the day.

I was the first among the 20 ugly creatures to finish all the tests and consequently, the first to enjoy the two-tier hexagonal box lunch provided.

Not all hospitals provide this lunch service.

The box lunch was a rather grand thing with about almost 30 different items, all tiny portions of course.

The main course was grilled sea bream and there was shellfish, beef, pumpkin, tofu, yam, boiled vegetables, rolled egg, rice and miso soup, followed by hot coffee.

Still, I could not really enjoy the lunch as my stomach felt heavy with that load of Valium.

It was like I had swallowed a calf whole, and the animal is not digesting.

Paid 2050 yen (a little over 70 ringgit) for the check up, about 10% of the full price.

Now, for the results in a week or two...

9 comments:

  1. Hey, that sounds fun. You didn't need to go on the treadmill? Maybe I seriously ought to start going to annual medical check-ups. Been delaying them. No test, no bad news kinda mentality.
    But hor, 62/110 is very healthy leh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5xmom... treadmill is an option... 62/110 on normal days loh... but when engaged in the occasional 'battle' with missus time ah, maybe shoot up to 150/250 leh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup agreed that hospital service in Japan is like 5-star hotel in Malaysia.. and even some 5-star hotel in Malaysia cant provide the service like hospital in Japan ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmulibra... to exerggerate a bit, it is quite difficult to look for faults and complaints about the service quality here... you just eat one 'teishoku' for 600 yen and they 'irashaaaiiii' you ten times...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6/15/2005

    barium? valium = sleeping pill?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally added you in my blog roll... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous... oops, maybe it is barium… I might be ‘tainted’ by the Japanese pronounciations that could not really differentiate ‘b’ with ‘v’, and ‘r’ with ‘l’… will check this with some medical students here…

    soohk... danke, danke…

    ** dracolshian ** ... I think I can understand your friend’s reaction to the (probably) un-natural Malaysianized sound of ‘irashhaaai’ being repeated thrown his/her way… maybe I also cannot tahan and end up throwing the rotten tomatoes with your friend also…

    GeauxPottery... actually ah, I kena ‘guzuk’ one time from the bottom by the doctor… in other words, kena de-virginized… before the insertion, no food after 9.00 pm the previous night… no breakfast in the morning… then they give gallons and gallons of slightly sweetened ‘sports’ drinks for you to drink over two hours… you get the nature call as you gulp down the liquid… and you purge and purge several times… until the colon is completely devoid of stool… then, they de-virginize you while you expose your butt lying on one side… they show you the monitor and you can see the insides of your colon very clearly… thank god, all ok then…

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been also going for the normal med checkup for the last 5 years. Normal urine ,blood test,xray,ecg, etc.So far blood pressure borderline 90/130.( Work Stress too muchlah)hahaha.I hope everything is will come out fine on the med test.

    ReplyDelete
  9. keatix... good nasi lemak after a medical check is a fine idea… but if too spicy ah and the spice mix with the valium or barium whitish color, imagine the concotion when you let go the thing in the toilet time… eeeiiiihhh…

    thquah... yeap, 90/130 is on the borderline… maybe more trips to Perth could do wonders to the numbers…

    ReplyDelete