Wednesday, June 29, 2005

HEADACHES ON THE JOB

Woke up with a splitting headache this morning...

So much for gungho-ing with the two-week Japanese language plus host family program for the 17 Korean students...

On their second night here, while I was preparing to hit the sack, a phone call came.

One Japanese host mother reported that the Korean student had not returned home yet.

A rush of phone calls followed and luckily, she returned home half an hour after the promised time.

Then, last night, the third night of thirteen home-stay nights, and just as the curtains were closing down on my tired eyeballs, another flurry of phone calls came.

A student lost consciousness after some alcohol drinks during dinner.

I could not believe my ears...

Images, undesirable images, raced across my brain...

The host father, Mr. U, is a close friend of mine...

Did he go out of bounds to do the unthinkable?

I asked myself... how could he do this to me?

So instead of hitting the sack, I had to dress up to go to the hospital.

The student was undergoing drip treatment.

Just as I was about to leave the house, a call came in to say that it was not necessary to go.

She seemed fine, thank god.

I did hit the sack, but I could not sleep the whole night... worrying about the girl...

The office staff handled the whole affair last night and from their accounts, the student was anemic in the first place...

We presume that she was probably not used to drinking alcohol, even a small amount of it, and could not refuse the offer by the host.

I have yet to talk to Mr. U the host father.

If I found out that he did what he was not supposed to do, I am going to skin him alive...

UPDATE

Finally got to talk to Mr U.

He assured me that everything is ok now.

What happened was, he was at work.

His wife and two of her friends were having 'yakiniku' (BBQ) dinner with the two Korean students they are hosting.

All five ladies had a little alcohol...

Then the student, Ms. P went to the bathroom and collapsed...

Everyone panicked...

No comments:

Post a Comment