Monday, June 06, 2005

OUI! FORGET THE LOVE HOTELS

Yesterday evening, managed to talk to my Boss about my intention to try night stopping at a love hotel.

5xmom warned that I could very well get a whack on my head for suggesting such a wacky idea.

Luckily, no whack...

But still, a big fat NO...

Imagine, she says, a fire occurs.

After five heavy hours of fighting the inferno, firemen dish out a barely identifiable burnt body.

Imagine the evening news...

Malaysian-born lecturer found sleeping in love hotel during seminar...

So, I am back to staying at an old, dreary, and dull guesthouse managed by the ministry.

Ichyo-so (銀杏荘) or 'Gingko-nut Hall' was built in the 1940s after the war.

Rooms are tatami mat style and toilets and baths are shared.

It is about 10 minutes walk from Shibuya Station, the magnet for teenagers all over Japan.

One guy who stayed there before mentioned that Ichyo-so has a romantic feel of the Taisho era.

See picture here... and tell me what you think...

Hmmm... maybe I should expect Taisho era cockroaches to be my roommates as well...

So much for my enthusiasm on love hotels...

Limp, man...

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/06/2005

    Oh my gosh...the building looks dreadful....like it has been abandoned.......since 1940's

    Truly sorry for you lrong. You have my greatest sympathy....but at least you have roaches to keep you company.....:):):)...and you didn't get whacked

    Can see why you have been so 'creative' in trying to find other accommodations.....

    Just curious.....are there any western hotels around that area....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ak... I laugh reading your comment about the building... it does look quite dreadful... and abandoned... there are of course loads of hotels of all types in Shibuya... I usually stay in the business types... about 10000 yen per night... or about 400 ringgit minus the nasi lemak buffet breakfast... aarrrggghh... But this time ah, I try to discover some 'new' aspect of Japanese accomodation...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of the Police HQ, the place where they lokup small criminals. hahaha. Where got romantic feel?

    Anyway, the Missus's reasoning is real funny. You certainly do not want to end up on the front page of our newspapers as 'Malaysian blogger found half nakid on road after fire at LOVE hotel.' That's worse than being a piece of charcoal, being seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5xmom... maybe quite romantic inside? 1930s lampshade, marbled tables, and all... 'half naked on road after fire at LOVE hotel'? Heheehheee... now that would be quite embarassing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Love hotel idea was not good in the first place as you were going alone. Come on! you mean Malaysian born lecturers can't have fun ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adam... what to do... invited the better half but kena rejected what... says the room too smelly with cigarette flavor... yakky...

    ReplyDelete