Friday, December 09, 2005

OOH, MY STOOOOMACK...

Somewhat out of the blue, Lilian threw me a line…

Grinning widely, she said,

‘Lrong - Here is something frivolous for you to ponder. Childhood food.

No obligation, ok? *Lilian holding Lrong’s neck at knife point…*

The way it works - write about 5 foods from your childhood that you missed.

Pass the baton to another three person after that.’

Ok lah.. here are the last five terror hungry ghosts…

1. Masak-Masak
2. Babe in the City
3. Samm
4. JoeC
5. Malaysia best

And, haaaa… now, what did I miss during my childhood days?

Maybe, mee goreng sold by the Indian man on the roadside outside my primary school, Sultan Abdul Halim Primary School? My family was not rich; I did not have much pocket money. So, while waiting for my father to pick me up after school in his 50cc Honda motorbike, I starred at the people chomping on the mee… saliva dripping... stoomack drumming... can you imagine it was sold in portions of 5 cents and 10 cents?

And second… kon loh mee… as sold by a vendor on tricycle with the tok-tok-tok sound… usually this guy came in the afternoon at about 4:00 pm, just when my stooomack was growling… but sadly again, no money to buy…

Third, grass jelly or chin chow? Funny, the seller also came in a bicycle… he sold the grass jelly in blocks of four or five inches in breath and about three inches in width… very cheap... me and my brothers would slice them up… and put lots of sugar… and ice… and we would be slurping the concoction for the rest of the day… haaaa…

The fourth food item might be the soup made from wild birds that we caught from the rice fields… don’t know their names but they are a little bigger than pigeons and they have very little fat… we boiled them with Chinese herbs for hours, so the meat and bones were soft and sweet…their taste was out of this world… these days, no more wild birds in the rice fields because no more karibaus there…

And tada !!! durians… bought in gunny sacks… don’t know why but my dad used to buy them in mountains… and we would just eat them with coconut-milk-treated glutinous rice… woooohh... my youngest brother ate a little too much… since then, he finds durians repelling… but KMiJ is still gorging at them after all these years… heheheee… paradise...

Sorry lah, Lilian… no fotos to show…

And the next three hungry ghosts are… tada !!!

1. keatix… a high-flying architect of a man… let’s see what his taste buds were like…
2. mmulibra… super researcher in search of an advance degree in Japan… can he recall the ‘lost’ foods?
3. dracolshian…artist extraordinaire in pursuit of a fine arts degree… now, what ‘tongue’ did she have?

No comments:

Post a Comment