Monday, December 25, 2006

KING OF CANNOT SPEAK MANDARIN

I recall a fellow Malaysian student at Nagoya University who took pride in saying that he is, well, the KOCSM...

I will not challenge him for the crown, but yesterday, I moved in lightning fast speed to organize a birthday lunch for my aging, ailing, and wheel-chaired bound mother…

As I walked into the restaurant, I was perplexed to see a handful of young kids, sitting at the table reserved for us…

I was like, hey, what’s this…

Then, it dawn upon me that they are the daughters and sons of my nieces…

Which makes me a, what… grand-uncle? No?

Minutes later, the familiar faces of my nieces and nephews surfaced…

Some of the unmarried but about to be married ones look really smart…

Chic… pretty… attractive…

I don’t get much opportunity to see them…

The obvious reasons being, communication problem…

I can’t speak Mandarin… poor me…

And they cannot really speak English…

Our dialects are different too…

So there I was, tongue tied and struggling as to what to say to them…

Which got me into thinking that I should really, really be picking up Mandarin…

No comments:

Post a Comment