Saturday, November 29, 2008

Stranded in Thailand, part II

Was sitting at the food court of Central Shopping Center gnawing on a plate of delicious mango salad, and listening to a rendition of ‘Anak’ by the Pilipino band.

Hey, this song really brings back good memories of days in Manila in 1980. those were the days when 'blood was young and hot', and energy, boundless.

As Keatix commented in my previous post, I am sort of marooned here in Chiang Mai.
Not to say that I am complaining as Chiang Mai is such a nice place to be at, accidentally or otherwise.
But if I were caught up in Bangkok under similar circumstances, I would certainly be gnashing my teeth away.

My counterparts at Chiang Mai University are doing their best (or is it their normal selves?) in helping me tackle the situation.

First, they had me checked out from my hotel into the university guest house by the lake.
Gibbon calls could be heard as I checked in. I am told that the primates would be waking me up the next morning and that I will not need an alarm clock.

Then, the CMU folks got hold of the flight information and every traveler seems to be thinking about the same thing, that is, returning home via a third country.

So it should not come as a surprise to hear that all flights out of Chiangmai heading towards Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, or Taipei are fully booked until mid December.

The alternative opened to me is to go via Luang Prabang on Lao Airlines, and connect to Kansai via Hanoi. Tell me, does flying to Luang Prabang on Lao Airlines look like a plate of leftovers to you?

Man, this is going to be a long trip.

My staff back in Japan is telling me to take the safe route, and that I should not rush back, dangerously, that is.

I shall have to make a decision soon on whether to take this route.

Meanwhile, I do not think that the PAD people are planning on leaving Suvarnabhum Airport anytime soon.

I think it is going to turn really ugly.

Imagine having the police, navy and air force personnel attempting to clear the protestors?

Wooh, messy.

Thing is, how in the world did the PAD protestors manage to sneak into the airport? This is simply outrageous.

Anything can happen now. I will not be surprised if the army moves in to take over the country.

Still, my coordinates tell me that the King's birthday falls on 5th December and he has appeared in public on the afternoon of 4th.

Which means, the PAD rascals, royalists as they claim to be, may have disappear before that.

But time is not on my side.

So, could you guys please buzz off the BKK airport? As in, tomorrow morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment