Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bike riding and eating too much at Chiang Mai

Am now at Chiang Mai University (CMU), and we are at the final day of our symposium...

CMU has a very large and pretty campus, with lots of green...

Their staff members, from the janitors to the executives, are super friendly and helpful.

Hence, it is such a joy just to be here...

Each time I come to Chiangmai, I take the opportunity to rent a motorbike to cruise the city...

The old part of the city, particularly the moat, is a wonderful place to go cruising...



My Japanese and Thai colleagues warn me of the dangers in riding the motorbike in town... too dangerous, they say...

But it is quite a lot like riding back home in Malaysia...

Talking about renting the bike, had been doing so from a shop run by an Aussie...

You have to surrender your passport as 'guarantee' that you will return the bike...

Rode on a Honda 250cc for the first time in my life... wooh, nice...

As usual, got lost in the city and in the process, found a market specializing only in fruits...

Fruits equal durians, that is...

The stalls sell the fruits as well as packets with only the flesh (and seeds of course)...

Ate a packet, followed by a second one...

And me being the greedy me, went for a third packet...

For my travels, especially to Malaysia and the surroundings, I always keep a spoon in my backpack for the sole purpose of eating durians...

The young couple manning the stall were amused to see this old goat chewing on the durians, with his very own spoon...

And they gave me another packet to eat for free...

Man, I defitinately over-ate that day...

Thank god, I did not suffer from dry nose or dry throat the next day...

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/31/2010

    Afraid that your hands will get sticky or stuck with the smell?
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled upon your blog. Kedah people rock! And always take photos of paddy fields when we are back! ;) Love lovely Takamatsu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. alice... yeap, the smell after the makan is not very nice... especially if you burp...

    kc... paddy fields... they are inseparable from me... am now actually back in my kampong, smelling the fields and loving it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dr Lim, I am Sun from Alor Star who have emailed you before.

    I think I saw you in the mall just now but was paying at the counter so didn't manage to go up for aisatsu.:(

    sure will go up to say hi if get the chance to see you and Mrs Lim again

    Welcome back to Kedah and enjoy your break :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sun... yes, my wife and I are now holidaying in AS... yes, we were walking around in Tesco and AS Mall... would have been a pleasure to meet you... next time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9/20/2010

    If you eat with a spoon and burp, it smells, too (no different, right?) I was "talking" about why you ate durians with a spoon.

    (Alice)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it is becos I didn't want to touch the durians with my dirty fingers as there is normally no place to wash the hands at the stalls... so, I always bring along a clean spoon in my knapsack just for this purpose...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9/22/2010

    Haha! Next time bring along a bunch of disposal chopsticks. This will attract everybody's attention!
    (Alice)

    ReplyDelete