Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fishing, one May afternoon...

(Actually put up this post on 12th, but Blogger bunked me out for some unknown reasons...)

We moved to this hamlet almost 6 years ago...
Had always wanted to go fishing but there is just so much stuff to do in the house and garden... stuff with rather 'high' priority...

 There is a really good fishing spot less than 10 minutes walk away from our house...
The day was beautiful... the air cool and nice...
Used some earthworms from my potager as bait, but no bite...
Changed to a 'wharf roach' which I could catch from the rocks...
And whoallaa... a greenling fish!
It measured about 20 centimeters...
Took it home and had my missus cooked it for me...
Urmmm, super fresh and super delicious...
Then, I noticed the low tide on the way home from work...
I'd never seen the tide going so low, so I thought to myself...
What a good opportunity to go hunting for mussels?
Did just that... and came home with 11 of those morsels...
My sweeto haato cooked spaghetti with them, on top of some seaweed and kelp that I harvested from the sea...
Woooh, lovely... 
While waiting for the fish to bite, I took pictures of boats passing my view...
This fishing boat was in business right in front of my eyes...
Each day on my way to work, I pass by this dockyard...
Always find myself enjoying, looking at the bottom of the boats coming in for repairs...
While we are at it, two kilometers from our house, on the way to work, lies a pond...
And for the first time, a Common Moorhen family with six chicks...
I was glued... and I knew I'd returned with my camera... 




And one for the road...
Muffins with vinegered prunes...
Home-made... oooh

10 comments:

  1. Yeah. I lost a lot of comments too. :(

    Mussels that you yourself collected. How great is that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lina... you too? Wonder if Blogger came up with an explanation for what happened...
    The mussels tasted really great...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone whole those with Blogger were affected. Used to go fishing in Pulau Paya, near Langkawi Island but not anymore now. Wonder how you catch mussels you need big muscles to do that? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bananazஇ... you too?
    Fishing in Pulau Paya? Wooh, would like to do that too... went scuba diving once there, though...
    To harvest mussels, I had just a screwdriver, and a rusting one at that, to 'peel' them off the rock crevices... and perhaps a little muscle to climb down and up from the sea cliff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. how awesome is that - walk ten mins to pick up mussels, it takes longer to go marketing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kc... yeap, but these days, mussels are not a-plenty to be found... they are getting quite sparse due to over-harvesting...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5/24/2011

    Your food dishes make me so hungry, especially that delicious looking mussels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Icy BC... thank you... hope to go mussel-hunting again soon...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was unable to get into your blog a couple of days ago!
    The mussels you collected are fabulous! The fresh fish and mussels must have tasted really fresh and sweet and even tastier cooked by your dear wife! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. kitchen flavours... I am quite puzzled myself... wonder what is happening in Blogger...
    I make it a habit to praise my missus each time she cooks for me... I shall have to re-pay her services in kind and try to cook some food when I retire from work... :)

    ReplyDelete