Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fishing in mid-summer in Japan...

Am enjoying the second last day of a week's holiday from work...
Had planned to work in the potager...
But the weather was simply too much to bear...
After working for an hour or so under the summer heat, I'd be all drenched up in sweat...
My body then tells me...
'Go to the sea!!' 
I was too feeble to fight this 'order'...
So, for the past few days, I was sea-bound...

I snorkled, I swam, I fished...
And can you believe that yours truly pulled out this colorful fish from the Japan Inland Sea?


The fish is called 'kyusen' in Japanese, and 'multicolorfin rainbowfish' in English...
I think the above specimen is the female version of the colorful male in the previous picture...

Near to the rocks I poked the fishing rod...
And woah... rockfish ('kasago' in Japanese) came a-biting...
Their big mouths mean that they normally swallow the hook wholesale...


And the rockfish turned into boiled fish during dinnertime...
Absolutely lovely with home-made loquat liqueur...

While not snorkeling or fishing, yours truly went hunting for shellfish...
Harvested twenty one mussels on one of those days...
I regretted taking too much as our self-imposed 'quota' is five mussels per person...

My partner casts her magic wand onto the shells, turning them into exquisite pasta...

We 'lengthened' the eating pleasure by spreading the meal out into two dinners...
Why... as we did not want to 'hurry' by over-consuming all the mussels in just one meal... 
Our quota: five mussels per person per meal...

18 comments:

  1. Such beautiful bounties from the sea Lrong Sinseh! Looks even better on the serving plate. Kudos to your self imposed quota ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to spend the day off. Outdoors, sweating it out and then, cooling off with the warm sea. Nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fishes. Wow fresh fresh fresh from the water. Sorry for kyusen and the rest, time is up. Great discipline on 5 mussels per meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UnkaLeong... I am rediscovering the joys of fishing again after all these years... with quota, of course...

    lina... indeed a very good way to wash off the sweat in the sea, and in the process my body can 'absorb' the minerals from the sea...

    Bananazஇ... very beautiful and delicious fish, I must add... yeap, 5 mussels per meal is very sufficient if we take our time to chew and relish its taste...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great catches.

    I had no idea you could snorkel in Takamatsu (in the islands yes, but not near town).
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If your weather has been as hot as ours, I can understand why you chose to spend your holiday on the sea. It would definitely be cooler, and the seafood was a nice bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David... yes, snorkeling can be done around here, but the visibility of the water is about one or two meters... so we cannot really see much... still, fun...

    George... yeap, in this hot summer season, the water works wonders with its pleasant cooling effect on the body...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah we did not have any luck with fish last weekend. You make me crave some fresh fish perhaps this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fishes and the mussels look fresh, and delicious.

    You guys are wonderful by imposing the quota on yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is indeed a very colourful and beautiful fish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Malay-Kadazan girl... good luck with your fishing this weekend...


    Icy BC... absolutely fresh and delicious they were... we shall be keeping to our quotas for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  12. One... felt a bit sorry to be eating that fish... it was really delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8/20/2011

    There are a lot of colorful fishes.
    I have never enjoyed fishing.I want to go to see and get these fishes.
    They must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. cocomino... try fishing... I think you will like it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great adventure and exciting life you have, have a pleasant weekend... and selamat berpuasa !

    ReplyDelete
  16. 黄清华 Wong Ching Wah... yeap, am enjoying my life here in Japan... happy weekend to you too...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow i love all your harvests! Every seafood is delicious when cooked very fresh, now i am hungry, haven't eaten those stone fish or grouper for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Andrea... thank you! I love my harvests too... :)
    am planning to head to the sea again this coming weekend...

    ReplyDelete