Sunday, February 05, 2012

Avocado salad, among other stuff...

Temperatures these few days have been dipping below freezing point...
We had minus 4 degrees one morning, and there had also been some brief moments of snow...

Not much going on in our potager in this cold season...
I spend almost all my time in weekends chopping wood for our stove... 
And my sweeto haato, as usual, had been very kind to cook me some sumptuous meals...
Had this avocado salad for dinner last night...
We always throw the avocado seeds into our garden and they do germinate...
We have a few of them, growing up to about a meter or so... wonder if they will ever fruit...

Sometimes we have some cheeze (Camembert, this time) with crackers before the main meal...

Fried rice noodles was what we had for lunch today...
Bean sprouts, mushroom, leafy greens, tofu, chillies, a little meat and spring onions...

And for tonight, butter scotch pumpkin salad...
We have been eating pumpkin quite a bit these days...
Am very happy that we can grow this lovely vegetable in our garden...

16 comments:

  1. You do have such healthy diet, Lrong. :)

    Working hard on those arms muscles with wood chopping, I see. ^^

    Hope you stay warm! When is Spring and the Spring blossoms expected to come this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It snowed today... think it will not be 'spring' for a good few more weeks, at least, I think...

      Delete
  2. You've had some delicious meals over the past two days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks to my missus for that privilege...

      Delete
  3. I love that avocado salad most of all. We have a lot of avocados, but they are not cared for, all from volunteer plants grown from thrown seeds like yours. So we have many qualities of fruits, some are bad, some are fibrous and few good. However, insects also know which are good and get on ahead of us. haha! It is better to graft seedlings with scion coming from best plants, or else you will end up having fruits very unlike the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your choice of words, 'volunteer plants'... thanks for the hint...

      Delete
  4. Your salad looks good! And how I wish I have the space to grow pumpkins, one of my favourites! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may wish to consider growing one on a pot and have them climb upwards... no?

      Delete
  5. Your foods look so good, but then again I love food. I might try throwing the avocado seeds in my garden now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the throwing... you might just get them to germinate...

      Delete
  6. All the food looks good. Mouth watering,in fact should one be hungry.I thought I would have an avocado growing in my garden but something killed it. Still looking for a plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try throwing a seed into the garden after you consume a fruit...

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May I have the avocado recipe? Looks yummy!
    (Alice "the recipe copycat")

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just slice up the avocado, arrange the slices nicely on a bowl... chop the onions and red bell peppers and sprinkle on top of the avocado...for the dressing, our standard concoction is almost always vinegar-based with olive oil, a tinge of salt, black pepper... we like it a lot... hope you can give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  10. your sweetheart prepares such mouth-watering meals!

    ReplyDelete