Sunday, August 12, 2012

More gifts from a neighbor in midsummer Japan...

Had not been walking the hills recently...
Reason is, there are tons of chores to do in the potager during the weekends, and like all things, it is a matter of priority...
Anyway, thought I would take a break from the potager and accompany my sweeto haato in her regular walk last Saturday morning...
Before long, we met a neighbor (different from the one in the previous post) who was visiting another neighbor in the adjacent hamlet...
After some brief niceties, we resumed our walk...
And oops, bumped into each other again a few minutes later as she was returning home on her bicycle...
Why not take home some tomatoes? She offered...
It was not for us to decline a good offer...
Pretty soon, we were standing at her vegetable garden, watching her harvesting the tomatoes...
Would you like some green peppers too? My husband dislikes eating them and told me not to cook any dish with peppers... she said...
And how about some pumpkins? They are a bit small but they taste very sweet...
Oh, there's okra too... here, take some...
Hmm... what can I say except that it is so nice to reside in this hamlet amongst such generous neighbors...
And my, their vegetables are of a different class compared to the 'mini-mini' ones that I could only grow at my potager...

15 comments:

  1. What a generous neighbour you have, Lrong! I bet you do the same too, sharing your harvest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, several generous neighbors... yeap, sometimes I do share our harvests...especially flowers...

      Delete
  2. You are so lucky Lrong, as if you are in the old neighborhood in Malaysia. We are like that too in our province here, but of course not too much in the big city, hehe. If only some city dwellers will come to our property we will also share our avocados and santol, being rotten on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea... yeap, that might be a similar trait among people who stay in the rural areas... a sense of sharing among the members of the community...

      Thank for 'educating' me on the 'santol'... it is the first time for me to see this word and I looked it up in wikipedia... woah, this fruit does bring back fond memories of my childhood... once, a friend and I went to pluck these fruits from a tree that grew in a graveyard... apparently this tree is native to Peninsular Malaysia and has spread to other parts of the world including the Philippines where it has become naturalized...

      Delete
  3. I would like to offer some of mine too.

    But nothing has been harvested.

    I am a lousy gradener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/13/2012

    What a great gift. I also plant such vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8/14/2012

    Wow..those are great and fresh veggies! I only have baby tomatoes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delicious. I've never tried okra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, okra is a wonderful veggie to eat... it is a handsome plant with beautiful flowers too...

      Delete
  7. I will certainly cherish a walk up the hills with a partner/family member. We can enjoy the wildflowers and beautiful, serene views.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful veg Lrong, you are truly bless. Okra with sambal belacan.....yum..... :)....I am making myself drool here....:) You know what else they say about eating okra right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GG, actually no... I do not know about this thing about eating okra... :-)

      Delete
  9. Maybe you can check what fertilizer she uses? The vegetables look so plump and juicy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would certainly like to ask the neighbor about her secrets to planting veggies one day...

      Delete
  10. Wow! I wish I have a generous neighbour! On the other hand, I wish I am that generous neighbour, that means I have more harvest than I need! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete